2013年4月27日 星期六

The Dirty Politics Behind Tammy Haddads White House Correspondents Brunch

Some people are feeling the sting of Tammy Haddads mobster-like tactics this year as emails go unreturned and guests whove been attending her White House Correspondents Garden Brunch for years are getting the cold shoulder. As the invitation says, the party supports CURE Epilepsy and the Miss America Foundation no doubt, incredibly worthy causes, especially the first one.Parkeasy Electronics are dedicated to provide chinamosaic.

Ive been to every one of her parties and Ive written a check for every one of her fucking charities, groused one ignored journalist who wasnt invited this year after being a steadfast guest at the annual party for many years. No explanation offered.

I dropped out of the whole thing when Obama got elected and I began to despise the whole Politico-MSNBC nexus, said a guest who has attended Tammys soire over the years. Too ass kissy for me. And the sucking up to Axelrods wife? Made me want to puke. I honestly cant even stand being around it, especially when I think of all the people I genuinely like who I never get to see because I have no time. And Im hanging out with tools instead? No way.

She said her interests in attending were never wholly about the party. I never planned to write about the brunch in the first place, she said. I didnt consider it a story.If we don't carry the bobblehead you want we can make a streetlight for you! My interest in attending was to see what the event designers did with Katharine Grahams house, because Mark had told me about it before. Ive only been once before, when it was at the Haddad home, and I found it too crowded and only OK. It is an example of the celebrity wrangling and idolatry that is at the root of the disquiet among the ranks of the WHCA. This year they bit back at the people who want to make their dinner all about Hollywood.

As another journalist told me, Hmmm might not be the best source on this one because I havent been invited in a few years. But, is anything this weekend really important to attend? I guess youd miss having an awkward conversation in the bathroom line with some kid from Glee, but its not like careers rise and fall based on party attendance.

We spoke to a wide variety of journalists who were not invited to Tammys party this year as well as some who were and will attend.Bay State parkingguidance is a full line manufacturer of nylon cable ties and related products. FishbowlDC is among the uninvited. In fact, we were pointedly told we could not cover this afternoons Garden Brunch despite providing coverage to readers for approximately the last seven years. Unfortunately, I cant share all the gritty details due to an off-the-record agreement.Which solarstreetlight is right for you? But later in the story I can tell you what happened last year when I received an invitation and went. As you can see by our stories, the party has received largely glowing coverage. Last year, when I covered it, was no exception.

Like Donovan, those who go know they must never write anything lest it not be glowing. Do so at your own peril. For the past few years press been penned into a designated area outside the house. They are allowed in after, but once theyre in, the guidance is that the festivities are off the record and tweeting is discouraged.

In so far as all the hoopla surrounding the Correspondents weekend is important to cover, then Tammys brunch is too, its an integral piece of the festivities, said a journalist who has attended a handful of times in recent years. But everyone knows the pictures are the best part, so if youre wandering around with your reporters notebook out looking for scandal, youre in the wrong place. My sense was always that Tammy wanted lighthearted coverage and fun people around, and if you knew her and you could offer that, then you were in. Is it perfectly journalistic? No. Are you going to get in wearing jeans and a T-shirt and lugging a TV camera? Probably not. But its her party, so its up to Tammy how she wants to play it.

Gossip and feature writers are an interesting lot at Tammys party. I asked Donovan if she feels funny about never being able to cover a party like Tammys in anything but a positive light. And if she didnt, would she be invited back? I also asked about her earning a right to be there. After all, if youre nice to Tammy all year long and dont ever write anything negative about her (in other words, you dont cover her like an actual gossip writer in New York or Los Angeles might) youre in.

Im not sure about the negative coverage question, Donovan said. I try to avoid negative energy. kind of a drain. As to the earn it question, not really sure either, dont forget that I have been here a while so many of the hosts are also personal friends.

Said a reporter on condition of anonymity: Its sad, but inevitable. Reporters are almost at a disadvantage in this town because there are too many of them so they end up having to play by the rules dictated by those providing the material. A press pen isnt ideal and its not exactly a great way to engender good karma with the Fourth Estate but its hard to see this type of thing going away.

Some compare Tammy to the Don Corleone of party throwing. I actually tried for years not to go, said a former guest who has gone for the past decade but wasnt invited back this year. Believe it or not, this is a pretty civil town, the individual told us on condition of anonymity. But you have douchebags running it who are unfortunately duplicitous. Its just not good, ewww.

A journalist described the party and Tammy like this: Shes kind of living on this very old reputation, this crowd she seems to manage.You must not use the moulds without being trained. Weak people can be manipulated easily. The fear of being alienated is the glue that holds this town together.

She wants all this attention for this brunch, but she treats those who attend badly, said another longtime attendee who, as of this writing late Friday night, still hadnt received an invitation. The person was trying to get into the brunch this week, but the outcome was iffy. As it was last year for a bunch of people Tammy supposedly considered to be friends. On the morning of the brunch, relayed our source, she called and said, Ive got too many people, you cant come.

As for last year, heres what happened to yours truly. A host I will refer to as The Reasonable One invited me but lectured me beforehand. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not to write anything mean about Tammy. I was told there were people who were not comfortable with my presence there, but they were going to let me in anyhow providing I did as I was told. I bristled at the journalistic principles brushing up against my soul, but pushed them aside for what I thought might be the greater good of going to the party and developing my sources. And yes Im being serious, but also overly dramatic. Another part of me was like, who cares? Its one party.

On the morning of the party, a blonde woman I will refer to as Queen of the Clipboard Nazis, phoned and said it was urgent that we speak. I didnt even know she was involved with the party, but immediately thought I was being uninvited. So I did what a real gossip reporter would do and didnt bother to call her back. If they wanted to disinvite me, theyd have to do it at the gate and then Id write about it. I was half hoping that would happen.

When I arrived I approached the check-in desk with some trepidation. No one wants to be told theyre not on the list its embarrassing. Sure enough, a less powerful Clipboard Nazi told me I wasnt on the list and directed me to a man in watermelon-hued trousers. I was kind of laughing to myself about the ridiculousness of it all Im hardly a socialite but I proceeded to chat amiably with the Watermelon Police. He was a smooth operator. He asked who I was and who specifically had invited me. He didnt even flinch. Right this way, he said, leading me to the cluster of journalists penned up outside the house.

沒有留言:

張貼留言