2013年1月9日 星期三

One Woman's Egg-Cellent Idea Is Turning Her Into A Millionaire

Betsy Ravreby Kaufman is what some might call the accidental inventor.Buy today and get your delivery for £25 on a range of ceramic tile for your home. While many people spend their lives trying to develop the next big thing, Betsy was simply making a purchase at Bed, Bath and Beyond when she tripped upon an opportunity that would change her life.

“When I got my sales receipt,” Betsy explained, “I glanced at the back and noticed a headline that said, ‘Have a great dorm idea?’ And it gave a web address where customers like me could send in new product ideas. My son was still in college and I’d been in so many dorms,All our plastic moulds are vacuum formed using food safe plastic. I was sure I could come up with something.”

So Betsy went to the website, which led her to Edison Nation, a company that partners with retailers and manufacturers to develop new products. She submitted three ideas for items she knew her son could use -- and paid an entry fee of $25 for each one.

“I wouldn’t have sent money to just anyone. There are a lot of scams out there. But I read that Edison Nation produces a show for PBS called "Everyday Edisons" and, as a former television reporter and anchor, that struck a chord with me.”

The staff of "Everyday Edisons" had taken their own big idea to the next level. As they were producing the show, they realized that lots of great designs were slipping through the cracks. So they began creating searches for regular people like Betsy who happen to have really good ideas, but maybe not the time or money to bring them to market.

“Once you submit your concept,” Betsy continued, “it goes through a series of steps and that can take months. So one day I was checking on my dorm entries, and I noticed they were looking for ideas for “As Seen On TV,” the company behind lots of the infomercials that air late at night. I always loved laughing at those. I’d watch them when I’d get home from work, after doing the 11 o’clock show. And I had a cupboard full of things that they were selling -- Chia Pets, the Clapper. And a few days later, it hit me.”

“I called my husband and said, ‘I just came up with a winning idea for the “As Seen On TV” search.’ He said, ‘That’s nice dear, but could you call me after I finish this sales call?’ And I called my friend Anne and she said, ‘That’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard.’ But I thought, 'For $25, what have I got to lose?'"

So once again, Betsy wrote up a description and paid the fee, this time for something she called “Egg Toss.” She envisioned the kind of plastic egg one might buy at Easter to fill with candy -- shaped like a real egg -- but made of two heat-resistant pieces that would twist apart.

“I was thinking about all the eggs I boil for Passover Seders,” Betsy said. “Every year I bring at least 30 hard-boiled eggs to someone’s home, and just as I think I finally have them all peeled and looking perfect, my thumb gouges into one! And I have to start boiling again.We mainly supply professional craftspeople with wholesale turquoise beads from china.”

“I thought, 'What if I could crack open an egg, pour it into a heat-resistant form -- and then when it’s hardboiled, just pop it out?' That way, I could even add things like scallions, tomatoes and seasonings, and every egg would come out perfect.”

That was in October 2009. As Betsy made her way through the holidays and continued to tell her friends and family about her exciting new idea, she’d watch as they’d roll their eyes.Our aim is to supply air purifier which will best perform to the customer's individual requirements. Until, of course, she received an email from Edison Nation, saying they had a sponsor who was interested.

As the internet — and in due course the worldwide web — developed, more kinds of (increasingly mobile) computing devices became connected, and web servers delivered ever richer content with which they could interact. Although this first internet/web revolution changed the world profoundly, the next disruptive development, in which the majority of internet traffic will be generated by 'things' rather than by human-operated computers, has the potential to change it even more.

However, as the aforementioned book discusses at length, there's many a slip between a potential brave new technological world and a reality that could improve the quality of life of a significant proportion of humankind. Whether the Internet of Things comes to pass in a satisfying way will depend critically on how the emerging M2M ecosystem is architected.

A point worth stressing is that data transfer patterns in the M2M-driven Internet of Things will differ fundamentally from those in the classic 'human-to-human' (H2H) internet. M2M communications will feature orders of magnitude more nodes than H2H, most of which will create low-bandwidth, upload-biased traffic. Many M2M applications will need to deliver and process information in real time, or near-real-time, and many nodes will have to be extremely low-power or self-powered (eg. solar powered) devices.

The 'things' in the IoT, or the 'machines' in M2M, are physical entities whose identity, state (or the state of whose surroundings) is capable of being relayed to an internet-connected IT infrastructure. Almost anything to which you can attach a sensor — a cow in a field, a container on a cargo vessel, the air-conditioning unit in your office, a lamppost in the street — can become a node in the Internet of Things.

These are the components of 'things' that gather and/or disseminate data — be it on location, altitude, velocity, temperature, illumination, motion, power, humidity, blood sugar, air quality, soil moisture... you name it.We offers several ways of providing hands free access to car parks to authorised vehicles. These devices are rarely 'computers' as we generally understand them, although they may contain many or all of the same elements (processor, memory, storage, inputs and outputs, OS, software). The key point is that they are increasingly cheap, plentiful and can communicate, either directly with the internet or with internet-connected devices.

沒有留言:

張貼留言